Summer Trail Crew Assistant
Summer Trail Crew Assistant
May 19, 2021
Approximately 14 weeks at 10-20 hours per week
$20 / hour
Midnight, Friday, May 28, 2021
Canmore and Area Mountain Bike Association
We are a volunteer-driven non-profit society dedicated to advocating for a vibrant, exciting, and sustainable trail system for all ages and abilities. With a focus on Canmore and Area, CAMBA recognizes the importance of great trails for locals and the positive impact that mountain bike tourism has as an important part of the visitor economy.
The CAMBA Summer Youth Trail Crew Assistant will work to assist the Trails Director, Trail Crew Leaders, and the CAMBA Board of Directors with a variety of tasks related to trail building, maintenance, trail user community outreach and other associated activities. The successful applicant will work on-site at a variety of trail locations in Canmore and the surrounding area. When working on trail, this position will be supervised by a Crew Leader, who will mentor the youth throughout the contract.
The candidate must have flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of the employment;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act*
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*International youths are not eligible participants. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
The successful candidate will adhere to the policies & procedures set out by the Board and support the work of the trail crew. Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Attend CAMBA trail nights and participate in trail build and maintenance activities
- Assist CAMBA crew leaders with preparation for trail events
- Assist CAMBA crew leaders with on-trail activities such as flagging and installing signage
- Deploy, manage, and collect on-site trail counters to assist with advocacy efforts
- Assist the Advocacy Committee with conducting interviews to collect trail user data
Reports to the Board of Directors through the Volunteer Coordinator (primary point of contact).
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Canmore and area trail knowledge
- Interested in learning more about trail maintenance and building
- Strong organizational, leadership and management skills
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Self-directed, requiring minimal supervision
- Wildsmart competent - knowledge of proper use of bear spray and other wildlife encounter mitigation strategies
- First aid skills are an asset but not a requirement
The application deadline is midnight on Friday, May 28, 2021. E-mail your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
CAMBA is an equal opportunities employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, disability, genetics or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics.